Thursday, December 17, 2015

Turkey Tunes

Every music teacher knows that Christmas is one of the busiest times of the year for us. Musicals, concerts, programs...you name it, we have at least 3 to direct! So of course I am just now getting around to updating my posts. I had a meeting the week of Thanksgiving and wanted a fun activity for the sub to do with the 1st graders that would be easy, so I created these Turkey Tunes (although I know they aren't really tunes, they're just rhythms...but let's not get too technical!). You could add solfege syllables to each rhythm and then perform it on a pitched percussion instrument or boomwhackers, then it really would be a Turkey Tune!


I created turkeys and then several feathers containing tas, ti-tis, and rests for the kids to put on the turkeys. Working with a partner, they created a rhythm pattern and then clapped it. After a while, they got a worksheet and copied down one of the rhythms they created. Then, they got to color their turkeys. It was a simple, easy rhythm lesson and the turkeys looked really cool!!




No comments:

Post a Comment