Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Musical Form

Here is an activity I did with my 3rd graders to work on musical form.  First, we created patterns using our ZooPal plates and ABC letters. Then, each group composed 3 different rhythms to accompany each section. Having the visual of the characters on the plate, the rhythms below, and the ABC letters above really helped reinforce the idea that all of the A's need to be the same, all of the B's the same, etc.

A Rondo pattern of ABACA

 
Another of my favorite form activities is using lessons from Artie Almeida's book, "Parachutes, Ribbons, and Scarves, Oh My!". We studied AABA form and listened to "Gallop". I finally got to use the pool noodle ponies I made this summer. The students took turns galloping around the room during the A sections and grazing in the pasture during the B sections. Other times the boys rode during the A's and the girls during the B's. So much fun!!
 






 
 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment