Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Rhythm Practice

Here are two games I use to help my K-2nd graders practice rhythms. In Kindergarten we used giant beat strips and then notated ta and ti-ti rhythms with our shoes! This really helped us visualize the different number of sounds on each beat. I'll use this with my older students as well because they never seem to remember how many beats each note gets!



I also like to use caterpillar rhythms. I have a bunch of circles with different rhythms notated on them. I often have them work with a partner to create a 4 beat rhythm and then combine with another group to create an 8-beat rhythm. Sometimes we put 4 groups together to create 16 beats. When we use half notes, we put the circle next to it upside down so that we see it takes up two circles.


No comments:

Post a Comment