Monday, April 13, 2015

Recorders

4th graders are so excited! This week, we are starting recorders! I always like to start off the unit by showing the kids how a recorder is made. I love the Discovery Channel "How It's Made" videos. Here is the one I show the kids. How It's Made-Recorder

After showing the video, I show the kids 4 different sizes of wooden recorders. I have no idea where they came from, but I was pleasantly surprised to find them in a box one year when I was cleaning my classroom! I always start by showing them the smallest one first, and then work my way up to the biggest one. I wish I had a camera to show you their faces when they see it! I play "Hot Cross Buns" on each one so they can hear the difference in pitch between the sizes.

I know some people joke about the awfulness or recorders, but it is one of my favorite parts of the year! It's great to see kids get so excited about playing an instrument and it is the one thing we do that combines all of the stuff we have learned in music up to this point. For some, it is the only instrument they will ever play.






No comments:

Post a Comment