Thursday, October 3, 2013

Autumn Leaves

This year I purchased the book "Kids Can Compose" by Nicole LeGrand. There are a ton of great projects in there for all grade levels. To celebrate the first week of fall, I did the Autumn Leaves lesson with my 1st and 2nd graders. At the first grade level, we composed using quarter notes, eighth notes, and quarter rests. At the 2nd grade level, we used the same notes, but we have been talking about tied notes in preparation for learning half note next week. To practice our tied notes, I gave everyone 2 pieces of string that they could use to tie their leaves together. I partnered the kids up and they created rhythms for each other and clapped them. They loved trying to trick each other by creating extra-hard rhythms! Great way to challenge their thinking!

1st Grader clapping her partners rhythm pattern


 Tied rhythms

No comments:

Post a Comment