Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Easter Egg Hunt

I'm a bit behind on my posts, but I wanted to share a great activity I did with several of my classes for Easter. I got a great deal on plastic Easter eggs at the Crazy Days sale in town this summer and I've been waiting all year to use them. I created a composition Easter egg hunt for several of my classes that they loved.

1st, I sorted the eggs out by color to create 5 different teams. Then, I put a piece of paper inside each egg with a note, time signature, or treble clef written on it. The students had to find all of their eggs and the pieces would add up to create a two-measure composition. Once they found all of their eggs, they went to the note station where they collected the pieces they had found in their eggs. I have a bunch of felt notes that fit great on a large piece a staff paper. (Had they been smaller, I would have put them right inside the eggs.) The teams took their notes back to their spots and composed their 2 measures. Each group was given a different time signature, so they had to make sure to have the correct number of beats in each measure.

This activity worked great, except to this day, there are still 2 eggs missing that we never could find! I'm hoping a good end-of-the-year cleaning will help me find them!


Opening up their eggs

Done!!



No comments:

Post a Comment