Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Recorder Karate

The 4th graders are just finishing up Recorder Karate and it has been great. We study recorders for about a month and a half (or until the first few students reach black belt). We practice 2 days a week together and then test in class the 3rd day. I also allow students to come in after school on music days to test.

I am always looking for new ways for the students to track their belts, so here is a picture of what I tried this year. Each student had a name tag and they moved it from cupboard to cupboard as they passed each belt. They really enjoyed moving their karate person along. I only had 7 cupboards, so brown and black belt are both on the last door. Here's how it looked:

 
 
The last week, we did a composition project. After composing their piece, each student performed it for the class. Here is the sheet I used:
 


No comments:

Post a Comment